How To Use Dr. K's Tenn Cans
Remove the label from the can(s).
2. Preheat your grill to 375 F.
3. Open the can like a soda. (pop the top of the can).
4. Lay the can flat on a hard surface.
5. While wearing safety gloves, make a 1/4 inch vent hole near the bottom of the can. See Figure A
The vent hole should be oriented 90 degrees from the top opening. See Figure B
6. While wearing safety gloves, place the can(s) flat on the grill, with the top opening oriented up.
Note: If using the Double Barrel technique (2 cans), separate the cans as much as possible for a wider smoking area.
For gas grills, place the can(s) directly on the grill at the hottest section(s).
For kamado or charcoal grills, place the can(s) along the outer edge directly on the coals.
Note: It takes about 10-15 minutes for the can(s) to start smoking on a gas grill and quicker on a kamado or charcoal grill.
7. After the can(s) begin to smoke, cook your food as desired.
Note: The longer the cook/smoke time, the smokier the flavor!
Note: On kamado or charcoal grills, the can may get too hot. If so, reduce the air flow on your grill and the can will cool and begin to smoke again.
8. After the grill and can(s) have completely cooled, the can(s) can be safely disposed of or recycled.
Note: DO NOT touch or dispose of until the cans are cool!
For best results, use a new single can or double barrel cans for each grilling. However, it may be possible to reuse a can if the cook/smoke time was short.